Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Haiku, Volume XV

The water rises
And my confidence declines
Time for a comeback

This is has been a tough week for running. I crashed at 10 on my alleged 14-miler last Saturday. This week, I got my Higdon-proscribed 4 in on the treadmill. I tried for 8, which my plan called for, on Wednesday between rainstorms, and just didn't feel well at all (stopped at 6.3). I skipped yesterday's 4-miler because I figured I should shovel as much of my driveway back into place as I could.


This week's long run is 15 miles. I'm not sure I can do that right now, between they way I've felt this week and the rainy humid morning we're supposed to have, and my sort of sub-par training over the past two weeks. I can't get hung up on that, though. I just need to focus on doing the best I can to get back on program as much as possible. 13 miles -- I'll take it! 14 or 15, I'll be thrilled.

I also need to STOP WHINING! I've been very negative lately. About the weather, about running, about work, and probably other things that I can't think of right now. Some are in my control, and some are not. Running is one that is -- to a point. I've been at or above mileage and long run mileage every week all summer until the last two weeks. I can't let myself get too frustrated when there's still plenty of time to recover.

3 comments:

  1. Brian, it's not too late in your training to alter you training plan. Let me know if you want me to tinker with it. :)

    As for the no whining... if it helps, keep me in mind when you want to complain about running. My season is officially done and need people to run since I cannot. :) And if you need someone to kick you butt, just let me know. ;)

    PS - Philly 2012 is in my plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! I will focus on being all-around more positive and I will definitely need your help w/my training plan.

    I wish you a speedy recovery and I'll put Philly 2012 on the calendar too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am convinced that it's something in the air. Perhaps it the changing of the seasons, all this rain, or the way the earth is tilting on it's axis right now. I've been unmotivated too. And I've been more negative than usual- to the point that I'm annoying myself. I think it's important to remember WHY we run. And how much the ability to even THINK about stepping out to the start of a marathon is both a gift and a hard earned reward.

    ReplyDelete