Saturday, July 26, 2014

Running Week 1, 2.0

I've finished the first week of the Couch-to-5K program.  I know, everyone line up for the parade.  But I have to blog about something, right?  (I do owe any readers that I might still have a longer post about the recovery from the surgery, since this is my rare chance to actually be informative.)

As proscribed by venerable C25K, I ran 3x last week:  5 minute warm-up walk followed by 15 minutes of alternating one-minute of running with 90 seconds of walking. It went as well as could be expected.  I did my run/walks last Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  My legs felt good, but I can tell I'm clearly out of shape, as I really had to catch my breath on the walk breaks.

This morning, I did the first workout of week 2: 5 minute warm-up walk, followed by alternating 90 seconds of running with two minutes walking for 15 minutes.  Both the running and the walking portions seemed interminably long after week 1.

It's way to early to draw any conclusions about my surgery.  I had compartment syndrome.  The pressure test quantitatively showed it.  What we can't say for sure if it was the sole cause of the problems I was having.  I won't be able to tell if I'm "better" until I'm in shape to pretty consistently run at least 2-3 miles a couple times a week.  If I get to that point and after a few weeks of it my symptoms aren't present, then I'm all better.  If they do, it's back to the drawing board. 

However, I think what's going to happen is that I'll wish I'd just have bitten the bullet and had the surgery a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment