Monday, December 6, 2010

A Run to Forget

Having a running blog is awesome when the two weeks in which I've been blogging have coincided with the two best weeks of my running "career": I've had a half marathon that exceeded my personal record and my own expectations; my two longest runs ever, 15 and 16 miles; completed a couple of solid "regular" runs; and tested out some cool new gear.

It sucks on nights like this, when I'd hoped for a 10-mile evening run and then quit with stomach problems after just 3 miles, leaving me with a freezing mile-and-a half walk back to my starting my point, during which I thoroughly convinced myself that running was a stupid sport for stupid idiots.

And stupid I was. Scheduled to run this morning, I bailed because my stomach didn't feel so hot. Though it felt better this afternoon/evening, it wasn't quite back to normal, and that was quite evident quite early in a run that I would consider probably my worst of the year.

So, while I'd like to forget this one, I think that instead I can take a few lessons from it:

1. Pay attention to how I feel -- I've never followed any organized training plan, I just do "what I've always done or what's always worked for me". Tonight, though, I ignored what my body was trying to tell me, to my own chagrin. My digestive system was telling me loud and clear "DON'T RUN TONIGHT!"

2. Never get too high, or too low. As much as Andy Reid generally infuriates me as he coaches my favorite sports team to a lot of wins but not THE win, he's probably right about this. I'm not as awesome a runner as I thought I was on Saturday afternoon, but I'm not as bad as I was tonight. As much as I'd like to forget it, this is a run I should keep in mind next time I get too proud of myself.

My next run is scheduled for Wednesday morning, and I can't wait to put this one behind me.

Date: December 6, 2010

Distance: 3.03 miles

Time: 29 minutes, 51 seconds

Location: Detwiler Road, York PA

Cats Spotted: Luckily I avoided the judging eyes of adorable cats.


Dogs chased by: None, and that's good thing; I wasn't going to outrun anything tonight.



(Pooka reminds us that stomach problems aren't so bad when your tummy looks like it has a smiley face on it.)

1 comment:

  1. Pooka also reminds us that bladder stone surgery is not for wimps.

    ReplyDelete