Thursday, November 17, 2011

Being Sick is Bad, M'kay?

It's race week and I'm trying to take it easy.

I ran 3 miles on Monday night and 3 miles on Wednesday morning. Neither one was good. On Monday, my calves hurt, my feet hurt, and my stomach hurt. On Wednesday, I had less pain in my legs but just felt like I wasn't getting enough air and didn't have enough energy. I don't feel like I could have run 5 miles, let alone 26.2. I'm undertrained by marathon standards, but not THAT undertrained.

I suspected that I had or was getting a cold, and also that I have just burned myself out too much with work stress and long hours over the past two weeks.

So, part 1 of the remedy is three inhalers, Singulair, loratidine (the active ingredient in Claritin), multi-vitamins, and Airborne, which probably doesn't actually do anything.


I've also been eating a ton of protein in an attempt to give myself some energy, and I'm trying to make sure I get adequate sleep leading up to the marathon. That's been a challenge. I worked Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights, staying up until the wee hours of the morning. I can usually subsist with little sleep, but between being a little sick and stressed out, and oh yeah, since I have a marathon on Sunday, this wasn't going to work.

My brain just stopped working completely at around 9:00pm on Wednesday night, and I vegged in front of the TV and was in bed by 11:30.
I woke up not quite refreshed, but feeling much improved. I have to make sure I do a better job resting, or Sunday will be a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment