Monday, November 7, 2011

The Guilty Pleasure Song

I'm pretty open-minded in my musical tastes, I think. But when I'm running, the range of music I like narrows considerably. Though there a few outliers, like same Dave Matthews and Counting Crows, which are a good change of pace when I'm on a long run, it's mostly short, fast pop-punk songs to try to keep my energy up.

For example, though I started my last 20-mile run out with AFI' rather grim album, "Sing the Sorrow", which was perfect because I was in a terrible mood at the start, other artists that appeared on my playlist are less serious stuff like Blink-182, Rancid, the Offspring, All Time Low, and New Found Glory. There's various speeds and moods within that set, but even when the subject matter is dark (like most of the Offspring's catalog) the tone is fast and what I would consider fun.

There's one thing on my Shuffle that just doesn't fit. I'm even a little embarrassed by it. However, when it started playing just as I began mile 19, it gave me a huge lift.

Without further ado: "Good Girls Go Bad" by Cobra Starship


I first heard this song in Summer 2010 while I walking outside the Planet Hollywood shops in Vegas, where it seemed appropria)te, and it's become one of my favorite running songs. Its over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek (I guess?) arrogance cracks me up, and it always provides a much-needed laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment