Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Bullet Points...Again

Friday bullet points seems like it might be the new norm around here until things get a little more interesting.
  • I ran 5 miles yesterday in 48:31. I guess I'm a real runner again, now. (That's just a little joke based on the previous post.) Given that I was usually hitting six miles in 57 or 58 minutes, this probably isn't that far off normal pace. My 42:something 8K and 5-mile PRs feel light years away, though.

  • It's been an ok week of running. In addition to yesterday's 5, I ran 3.1 on Monday night at what I would consider "max effort". This is where the lack of speed is really showing: 27:59. It's frustrating, but I'm not going to worry about it too much for now. I don't want to start speedwork again until I feel like my legs are stronger, but I am going to run one of my midweek runs (which I'll probably keep at no more than 3-4 miles for a few months) as fast as I can to give myself a measurement of how I'm doing.

  • I've slipped off the wagon a bit this week in both strength training and dieting. We had our "anniversary" dinner on Tuesday night and a vet appointment last night, so it was difficult to stay in routine. (Or get in one, in the case of new leg program.)

  • Unfortunately, this is going to get worse. Next week, culminating in the St. Patrick's 5K on March 11, is fairly normal, but the following week is insane. I'll be traveling Monday through Thursday for work and will be lucky to get any running in at all. (I'm going to try for a few miles on Tuesday night in Tucson and a few in Philly on Thursday morning). This probably means the best option for the TowneBank Shamrock 8K in Virginia Beach is to just take it nice and easy, which is a shame. If I could get some consistency in the next two weeks I think I could challenge my PR on that flat course, even in my weakened state.

  • Submissions are closed for the Bad Photo contest. I will post them before the aforementioned business trip and allow two weeks for voting from the time they're up.

  • Because you're all wondering, this is what I ate on Tuesday night at TJ Rockwell's. Believe me, it was worth every ounce I gained or second per mile I lost:

(These are called "Rhino Fries".
I say with confidence that there are no better cheese fries on the planet.)


MACON BACON BURGER
This creation features our 8 oz. black angus burger topped with a creamy cheese, ranch, bacon sauce. finished with bacon slices and golden onion straws. served on a pretzel bun

(I wish I had a picture of this. It was just as good as it sounds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment