Saturday, July 2, 2011

And Time Doesn't Wait for Me, it Keeps on Rollin'

I'm undisciplined about a lot of things in my training. Speedwork, tempo runs, and cross-training among them. (I've got long, slow, distance down though!) But I think I've found my cross-training for the rest of the summer and fall, though.


Today, Chris (my wife for any newer readers) and I took a gorgeous 12-mile bike ride on the York County Heritage Rail Trail. Our ride took us an hour and a half, but we weren't looking to set any land-speed records. In fact, I am much more likely to set a speed record for flying over my handlebars and smashing into a tree. We just wanted to explore this new (to us) place to ride and make sure we left enough energy in the tank to get back to the trail head in downtown York, since the ride out seemed mostly downhill. The way back didn't seem as hilly as I thought it might, though, so next time we can push our pace a little bit more and or head further south -- the trail goes 20 miles down to the Maryland line.


(I'm not so confident on the bike, yet. Here I fell behind as we crossed the street.)

We didn't go quite as far as we'd planned, but it was gorgeous ride on a beautiful day, and I'm looking forward to more adventures on the rail trail this summer. Great idea, Chris. I'm glad I tagged along!

(We turned around just south of the Howard Tunnel, one of the many interesting sights along the trail.)


2 comments:

  1. Don't let him fool you! He was keeping up just fine. He got caught at the crossing by cars. I just kinda went and didn't realize he didn't follow. Sorry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great place to ride! I need a bike so I can do some cross training too. Sadly I think it will consist of me riding back and fourth haha

    ReplyDelete