Monday, April 15, 2013

F*** This

I wanted to just take a moment to offer thoughts and prayers for all the runners, spectators, and friends affected by the Boston Marathon tragedy.

I'm sure there are a lot of good, thoughtful posts out there offering sympathy and condolences.

This is not one of them.  This is just the anger of a fellow runner.

I hate that some asshole, whoever they are, was able to ruin what should have been a great, triumphant, and hopefully fun moment in so many peoples' lives. Whatever he/she was trying to make, I'm sure it had nothing whatsoever to do with the thousands of people running 26.2 miles today or the even more thousands of people cheering them on.

To whoever you are:  I hope you don't think you won.  You didn't.  People are still going to train their asses off for Boston.  People are still going to cheer them on.  The BAA is still going to put on one of the most prestigious marathons in the world.  I'll be honest.  I never cared much about working to qualify for Boston or running the Boston Marathon.  But now I want to.  Just to give you the finger.

4 comments:

  1. It wasn't about ruining someones life. It wasn't about winning. It was about a person losing control of their life. And, I guarantee you this, over the next 9 months the rate of events like this is just going to get faster and faster. As controls get tighter, more people will lose control. As more freedom is given, more people will feel free. We are at a crossroads and it is only going to get worse. It is the last thing I want, but I promise you it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're very right about that, unfortunately.

      At the risk of saying something I shouldn't, a lot of times I have sympathy for the perpetrators of violent crimes. Middle school and high school weren't much fun for me as the smallest, (one of the)shyest kid in my class, and it's not so hard for me to see how a troubled kid might think violence is the only way out and I am very sad for someone for whom life was that sad or for someone ill who was not able to get treatment. But this just seems right now like it was something very well planned out (the explosions went off within minutes of when the highest concentration of runners last year crossed the finish line) that it seems more the work of someone looking to make a statement. And I suspect one that had absolutely nothing to do with the runners and spectators of the Boston Marathon.

      I wish I was more coherent, but mostly right now I'm just angry and sad.

      Delete
    2. Premeditated or not; I don't think it matters in any regard. Rational, peaceful human beings are not that way because of mental health counseling but because they know they are in control of their lives. And I apologize to you and every other student who has been violated by 'education for all' laws and such. Truly if I could make it better I would.

      Also, try to get past the anger. It is not going to help. Try to think about all the things you can do NOW to make positive change - or all the things that others will be inspired to do. At least that is what I think about. :)

      Delete
  2. It's very hard not to be angry. As a 6 time marathoner and someone who had friends running yesterday, I was angry, but I quickly let it go. Anger fuels hate. I refuse to allow the SOB to receive anymore fuel then they have already received.

    So I did what I do best, I ran a kickass 5 miles on 1 days rest from running my full on Saturday.

    I also had some jackhole ask me if I was going to stop running marathons? Ummm, really? Why would I let evil win?

    I say pick your next marathon or half marathon and focus on the the training. Even raise money for a charity. :)

    ReplyDelete