Sunday, June 19, 2011

Beer and Running: Perfect Together

It's going to be hard to get the miles in this week, since I'm now a cardboard nobleman.


(That's Lord Chesterfield to you.)

For all my joking about carb-loading in my last post, it seems as if (as common sense suggests) that abstaining from the hooch before a race is probably a good idea.

Beer and Running from Runner's World


A friend who has run multiple marathons (and PR'd this weekend at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth Minnesota!) advised me to have a beer the night before my first half marathon to take the edge off, and so that's been my tradition before any of my big races: A microbrew from the Philadelphia Brewing Company before that first half; a Lager draft before Broad St; and a bottle of Peroni the nights before my 2nd shot at the Philly Half and the Shamrock Marathon. It's one of my favorite parts of race weekend, and one of the parts that I'm really good at. I've never spilled my pre-race drink and I've always taken care to be properly hydrated, too.
I'm sure I'll have a brew the night before the Philadelphia Marathon,too. I just hope it's not a five-and-a-half foot Lord Chesterfield Ale.

After the race, on the other hand, all bets are off.


And always, as O's announcer Gary Thorne would say, "Please drink.........................responsibly."

No comments:

Post a Comment