Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves



Frustration levels are at an all-time high right now. Between the knee acting up and the snow or freezing rain we're getting approximately twice a week, marathon training is suffering a severe setback.

The knee feels pretty well this morning, and I was looking forward to a nice, flat 5-10 miles (I had ambitions of 10, but 6 or 7 is probably all that's realistic right now) around Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Instead, I slid off the road 3 times within 3 minutes of home and wisely, no doubt, turned around. I suspect things are fine at the Harbor, but I never would have gotten there in time to meet the group. Reaching 83 without clipping some mailboxes, at least, would have been unlikely.

So instead of doing one of the few things that improves my mood, I'm spending Saturday morning working on a 80ish slide PowerPoint presentation for work. (Well, yeah, not right this second, but you know what I mean...)

Joy.


(At least it was warm when this picture was taken)

I'll try not to be completely negative, today, though. The somewhat good news is that the knee does feel fine right now, and another day of rest probably isn't a bad thing. I say "somewhat" because it felt fine on Thursday, too. It's how it feels during and after a run that I'm worried about. I went to PT on Tuesday and have at least two more sessions (and they'll probably suggest more than that, but they're also sympathetic to my high copay) scheduled.

My physical therapist suggested a series of weird stretching exercises 2-3x a day to loosen up the thighs, where the IT band is located (despite problems being manifested as sharp knee pain). It's probably something I should have been doing more of previously. The days of "stretch the quads, stretch the calves, and go" are done. I also bought a foam roller, the use of which seems to get a little less painful every day.



The funny, and cute thing about PT so far is that whenever I'm doing my stretching, Elizabeth the Kitten usually comes over and tries to help. I'm not sure how purring in my face, rubbing her kitten nose on me, and lying down right where my legs are supposed to go is helping, but it's the kitten thought that counts, I guess.

Weather's supposed to be better for a run tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes..

No comments:

Post a Comment