Thursday, February 24, 2011

Boring Training Update

Just a quick update on the training this week. The windy long run around Inner Harbor on Saturday made me think that my knee is strong enough to attempt the marathon, but that I needed to get my conditioning back, since I'd been running shorter distances and less frequently since the end of January.

I seem to be off to a good start this week. On Monday night after work, I set out to run 8 or so miles. Everything was going fine until about mile 3, when it started snowing pretty hard. It was a wet, sleety snow at the time, and a bit rough on the eyes, so I called it a night at mile 7, the point at which I got back to my car, rather than making an extra 1-2 mile loop through "downtown" Manchester.

Yesterday afternoon was gorgeous, and I took advantage of it with an 8.5 mile run in 1:20. My legs were tired from physical therapy in the morning, but the knee felt as well as it's felt during any run I've taken since hurting it, and this was my second-fastest paced run of 2011, which is not to shabby since the other one was just 4 miles in which I booked it (and failed by seconds) to keep under a 9-minute mile pace.

More importantly, my knee felt fine after the run and feels as close to normal as it's felt in weeks. I'm going to try to get out for 4 or 5 miles this afternoon before the rains come. There won't be a long run this weekend -- instead I'm going to try to for 8-10 miles on Saturday morning and 8-10 miles on Monday morning. I have March 5 to try to for one last long run -- 17 or 18 miles is probably the most I dare attempt, and then the next week. We're signed up to run a 5K on the 13th, so on March 6, the day after my last long run, I'll take 2 or 3 mile recovery run to see if the 5K is a good idea or not. It's been quite awhile since I've run two days in a row, so I think today will be a good test as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment